Favorites of Kstreet Kate


Number of pageant crowns:
Kate: “Two local crowns (Miss Thunder Road and Miss Gwinnett County, both from local pageants in Georgia) and one state crown (Miss District of Columbia).”

Where Miss District of Columbia crown was kept:
Kate: “In a wooden box on a shelf in my condo. Before I moved, I used to keep it under my bed.”

Three things that happen behind the scenes at the Miss America pageant that people would be surprised to learn:
Kate:
“The girls get dressed in a tent behind the auditorium. Everyone teases their hair—even the ones that look normal on stage. There’s a lot of sharing of ‘butt glue,’ adhesive to keep clothes in place, because no one wants to be showing their ‘cheeks’ on the stage. And breast-enhancement cups come in several shapes and even more sizes.”

Three things people would be surprised to learn about kstreet Kate:

Kate: “I have five jobs: DC government employee, owner of Consignment Cocktails, talk-show host, writer, and model. The only TV I own is the same set I’ve had (with an inset VCR!) since I was 12. It’s a 12-incher! I can bake, but I can’t cook at all, so I’d rather live on cupcakes and brownies.”

Adrian Fenty or Barack Obama?
Kate: “Obama. In The Hill’s Most Beautiful on the Hill contest in 2006, Barack came in second . . . right behind me. So, I think it’d only be right to pass him my crown.”

What Kate would do for the talent competition other than dance?
Kate: “Um . . . finish a crossword puzzle? I’m kidding—I’m bad at those, so it’s a good thing I can dance.”

Three ways Kate working to improve literacy for Washington students:
Kate: “I continue to work with First Book and the Heart of America Foundation to help build libraries in underserved areas, give children their first books for home libraries, and serve as a reading mentor for children in elementary and middle schools. I have volunteered for the National Book Festival for the past four years, helping librarians from across the country in the festival’s Pavilion of States. But it’s not just about the kids, and it’s not just about reading books. I’m involved in efforts with the Junior League to promote adult literacy and financial and nutritional literacy as well.”
Favorite local charity:
Kate: “There are too many. But currently, Heart of America.”

Where to go to spot Washington socialites:
Kate: “When I’m not out at events, my favorite place to relax and enjoy being social is L2 in Georgetown.”

Favorite place to shop:
Kate: “Lately, I love Reiss, We One You Two, Club Monaco, Cusp, and shopping online at Gilt Group.”

Where Kate go to get away from the spotlight:
Kate: “I recently took a relaxing trip to the Eastern Shore to spend the weekend in a quiet bed-and-breakfast. Otherwise, I might go visit my parents in Atlanta.”

Favorite local blog besides of Kate:
Kate: “No fair! Too hard! I love reading about where to go on Pamela’s Punch or what to wear on the Glamazon Diaries or Project Beltway. A Not So Capitol Idea always gives me something to think about, and Ask Miss A keeps it real.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment